We often get very frustrated when we see that we are not leading towards our fitness goals, whether it’s to lose that extra amount of fat layer on our body or to pack some extra pounds of muscles. But very few of us care to know about what body type are we? If we somehow can figure out what body type we are, then surely it can save us a lot of time and effort.
We all have different body structures, bone density, genetics and that differentiates all of us. In general, there are three body types that we can fall into, and these are – Ectomorph, Endomorph, or Mesomorph.
People who fall into this category are usually skinny, lanky, and lean. They have a hard time putting on muscles. They usually have a fast metabolism, and it’s very hard for them to gain any kind of weight. Ectomorphs are also called hard gainers. The few examples of this body type are Brad Pitt, Taylor Swift, Ryan Gosling.
Now if you are an Ectomorph you should:
- Eat at least 5-7 small meals per day. In which at 50-60% of your calories should be coming from carbohydrates, and at least 25-30% of your calories should be coming from protein. Keep the fats about 20-25% of your total caloric intake.
- Be more focused on lifting as heavy as you can, and you should avoid cardio at any cost because you don’t need to burn the extra calories. Make sure you are doing compound lifts and having a good rest between the sessions.
- Try to sleep at least 8 hours a day and keep yourself hydrated.
People who fall into this category have a low amount of muscle definition because of the extra amount of fat on their bodies. They usually have a large frame, a slow metabolism, a large appetite, and can gain weight very easily. The few examples of this body type can be Zach Galifianakis or Zack black or Jonah hill.
If you think you are an Endomorph body type then you should:
- Avoid caloric dense food and instead, you should be eating tons of vegetables. You should maintain a low-calorie diet. Keep the carbohydrates at 20-25% of your total caloric intake. You can keep the fat intake a bit high around 40% or you can even try a ketogenic diet. Keep a check on your protein intake as well because protein is the building block of muscles and will also help you in recovery and burning fat.
- Incorporate HIITs (high-intensity interval training) in your training sessions to burn the extra calories.
- Keep the shorter rest time between the session.
- Train more frequently, at least 4-5 times a week, and should also focus on sleep and hydration.
If you are an endomorph and trying to lose weight, you may consider reading our this article – How to lose stubborn belly fat- step by step guide
This is the kind of body type which everyone would want to have. People in this state of body type are fairly muscular and have a low amount of fat on their bodies. They find it pretty easy to pack on extra pounds of muscles while staying lean. The best examples of Mesomorph can be Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Jessica Biel, and a lot more.
Congratulations if you fall into this category as you won’t need so much effort to shed that extra layer of fat. Being a Mesomorph, you don’t need to be on a strict diet plan, but here are some tips that can help you get your dream body.
- Stay in a little deficit for toning, but not too much, a slight deficit of 200 calories less than your maintenance will do good for you.
- You can incorporate some high-intensity training weeks followed by some low-intensity training weeks, maybe 3-4 weeks of high intensity and the 1-2 weeks of low intensity.
- Keep your protein intake about 1g per lbs of your body weight and carbohydrates to be around 40-50% of your total caloric intake.
- Proper sleeping and hydration are equally important for you as well, just like the other body types.
Mix Body type
While the body type is classified into three categories only but you may also be a mix of two body types, usually people who are into this category is a mix of an ectomorph and an endomorph or an endomorph and a mesomorph. In this case, you should look for the advice for the part you want to get rid of. Let’s say if you are a mix of an endomorph and a mesomorph, then you should follow the diet plan for an endomorph.
While knowing your macros (carbohydrates, protein, fats) are important to achieve your dream body, it is equally important to know what body type you have. We have discussed above how one person with a specific body type can implement various workout techniques and diet tricks to look and feel comfortable under the skin. Even if you are a beginner looking for a healthy lifestyle, the best shot to start will be to know your body type and plan accordingly.
Still finding it difficult to know your body type? We have a solution for you. Take this test and you will know your body type. Click here